Thread: Aluminum heads
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #39
tubman

Default Re: Aluminum heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
All

Thank you, I really learned a lot. I never thought switching heads was so involved. I canceled my order and will look for another, more simplistic, project.
Please don't get discouraged. I think that this is partially my fault, as a bunch of us have bombarded you with a lot of extraneous information. I think this is partially a desire to allow you to be informed of ALL aspects of adding aluminum heads to your engine, but also a chance for us to show off our "great knowledge". I believe that in particular, my discourse on custom fitting spark plugs and the detailed investigation of piston top profiles by "Bored & Stroked" were particularly not particularly relevant here. The Edelbrock heads probably come with a spark plug recommendation and the chance that your "stock 39" engine has the problematic Egge pistons is quite remote.

What you should be aware of is the potential problems you may encounter installing the heads. You say you have a "stock 39". That means that you have head studs, not bolts. You do not say how long it's been together, but just removing the stock heads can sometimes be a real problem because of corrosion on the studs and other problems. There is the possibility of breaking a off a stud, which really complicates the situation. Even if you get the heads off, you will have 24 obstacles sticking out of each side making clean up and prep for the installation of new heads and gaskets a real chore, especially with the engine in the car.

If the discussions in this thread are daunting for you, the mere exercise of removing the old heads, prepping the engine, and installing the new ones probably will be too. I believe you are making the correct decision in leaving well enough alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote