View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
Joe K

Default Re: Paint recommendations

Quote:
their book is definitely the benchmark used by most hobbyists today to determine if the shade and/or tint of a color is correct. Match the chip in the book, and most will tell you it is the correct color. Don't match and they will tell you that your color is wrong!
Plus 1

As I understand it from my restorer buddy from years ago, paint colors are NOT constant. And given the various sources and formulations they use to get to those sources, the same "name" color from different suppliers will have different colors/hue/appearance.

It may be named the same, may be assured to be "true" to the Ford Spec/color charts/whatever - but it won't be.

His take on colors is to send away and get the "color chip chart" from the major Ford hobby organizations. Get a single chart. Assume it is correct. Take it to your paint source, have him scan it, and mix your color from the scan.

More than likely 98 percent, you with your human eyes will not be able to tell the difference from the chip to the color they create. Sometimes there a glitches in graduation in shades/tones of red. But mostly 98 percent are spot on.

As was explained to me by my paint producer - the human eye is notoriously "fallible" when it comes to detecting color. Women are better than men on the basis of color. But men are better than women in things like sheen, gloss, the mechanics of the coating and a general sense of "duplication."

But the machines are better than either in basic color determination.

The paint producer says the human eye is the FINAL match - but their rationale is more one of "customer satisfaction" than actual closeness.

I would get the chip, get it scanned locally - and go with that for the mix.

Any differences seen when at the show you can put to "weathering." Which does exist. For red particularly.

An addenda: Historical colors are "problematical."

The original George H. Corliss engine at the 1876 Philadelphia Exhibition is questioned regarding what color it was originally painted.

It was a "black & white" photographic world. Pictures of the engine while being erected and in place in Philadelphia show a "grey" engine. Some of these pictures show an engine which is almost "white."

Later pix of the engine after it had been reinstalled at the Pullman Car works (and which drove the works until 1910) show a "black" engine. There is no mention of repainting in the literature.

It's really not possible to know what color the engine was painted originally. It was scrapped in 1910.

Just as it's not really possible to know what colors Ford Model As were painted originally.

Everything you know, or think you know, will be erased in your lifetime.

One way or another.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote