View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #21
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Use of Slip plate to lube springs

The original Fors lube for springs is shown on page 383 of the 1936 service bulletins, along with the introduction of the new springs with lubrication channels
M-4628 lubricant, 77.5% ice machine oil, 20% talc, and 2.5% ground asbestos

Ice machine oil is real thin, auto transmission oil is thion, in researching "talc" I found it is used as a polishing agent, and dry lubricant, and is used in some versions of "slip plate", the asbestos I havn't found a reason, perhaps it helps the talc at it's job, today perhaps some graphite
the way the spring is designed liquid would travel to the tips of the springs when pumped into the center---unless the spring was greased, then the lubrication grooves will only move a short distance before it is forced out the sides, and it won't flow by gravity to the tips, once grease is there it also prevents the flow of proper spring lube

My first driver car was a 46, is had the springs greased---both by me and previous owners, the tips were shedding rust, the center area oozing grease, If I stood on one side running board the car would still lean when I got off, it rode bad--hard and skittered on washboard bumps, then got a 39 (60hp) that was low mileage and most of it's life got worked on at the ford dealer by the old guy,always lubed with spring lube, when lubed the tips got wet, and when jumping off the running board the car would return to level, the ride was good, much better than the 46
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote