View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #35
Patrick L.

Default Re: What Defines Over-Revving The Model A's Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
While I agree that everyone is free to drive as they wish, I think (at least for me) the point of these "cruising speed" discussions is to determine what is considered best for the health/longevity of the engine and why (the "why" part is important to me). I don't want to drive around at 20MPH thinking that I'm saving my engine if 40 or 50MPH is just fine and I don't want to be driving at 50-60MPH thinking that it's just fine to find out down the road (no pun intended) that my engine pound3d out the bearings prematurely because of it. So, yes, anyone can operate their "A" anyway they choose but it's best if that choice is an informed one. JMO.

I understand. Its tough to figure out what to do sometimes isn't it. So how does your 'A' feel ? It'll have a comfortable speed and it'll let you know what that is. I think the majority are comfortable in the 40-50 mph area.

Our family business started in 1918 and I was brought up in it. I grew up hearing that these Fords shouldn't be driven over 50 mph because they would then pound the bearings to death. Many do exhibit the secondary vibration at around that speed, but, I'm not sure I believe they will do that. I've seen quite a bit of bad/ruined babbitt but think it was just due to poor babbitt repours or old age. I've seen only one broken crank and believe it was due to a poor regrind.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote