View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Radiator fluid question

The drain test is meaningless. Before buying a new radiator I'd remove the top or bottom tank and try rodding out the tubes. You can buy a very long thin drill bit. I would try spinning that by hand to remove any crud in the tubes. Then if it goes all the way through follow up with a .22 calibre rifle cleaning brush. This is for the 1928-9 round tube radiators. For the flat tube radiators you'd need a long thin blade, like a transmission dipstick.

Have you asked at any radiator shops how much it would cost to rod it out?

I removed the tanks from my 1950 Studebaker radiator years ago to do some repairs. You have to use a small pointed flame and heat the solder on the tank seam, then quickly blow away the molten solder with compressed air and a blow gun. Do about a half inch at a time and keep working around the tank until all the solder is blown away. Then you should be able to lightly pry the tank away. Once the tank is off check the solder around the tubes to make sure you didn't melt any of it away.

Also, I've heard good results using vinegar to clean the deposits out. I haven't tried that yet, but it's worth a try before spending big bucks on a new radiator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote