View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #39
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Begging to be a hot rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishop View Post

I put a Weber down-draft and intake on my 31, changed to modern distributor guts, changed the brass bands to plug wires, and use modern spark plugs. After adjusting to the need for more fuel (vapor lock), the coupe will do 65 easy for long distances.
Curious what is to be gained by changing out the brass bands for plug wires. I can perhaps see it if you have a radio as I suspect that the brass bands would cause interference with the radio but performance wise I don't understand. I find with my car that power is not the limiting factor in my cruising speed it's RPM. Perhaps dictated by my lack of experience with these old birds but, being that they are not balanced, anything over 50MPH makes me nervous about engine vibration and what it is doing to my babbit and crank so I usually cruise at around 45MPH. I know that these were designed to run at 65MPH and I believe were even advertised as such but still. My concerns likely come from the fact that I am so used to engines running butter smooth that the vibes created in this one makes me "stand up and take notice".
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote