View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Dropping the pan , recent You Tube .

I watch the videos posted by the man with the nice sport coupe and town sedan he also has a wife who features sometimes . Whenever he posts a new video he is very informative and well worth watching although I was not too sure about the front wheel bearing adjustment but it works fine for him . The latest one about a week ago he drops the pan on a coupe . He uses the tool to hold the oil pump in place when he drops the pan as he does not want to retime the engine although I cant see how this can be . When I drop the pan I want the pump to come down with it . I can check it out ,check for wear , clean the guaze screen almost always has some debris in it . I check the bottom plate and if worn I polish the underside and invert it. I do not use a gasket but make sure it spins freely especially after changing the gears etc etc .I check the retaining spring these do suffer from corrosion . I was very surprised he did not pop out the dipper tray and clean out the pan bottom even with a clean dipper. My experience is that even at best there is an aluminium/babbitt deposit sometimes quite hard from mostly piston skirt wear . I like my pans clinically clean !!! . When put the pan back I hold the pump in place with a cable tie I will get my son to post the modus operandi .When the pan is in place and held by a few slack bolts I clip the tie and pull clear .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote