View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #68
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: A drive around the block

Hello all, again I'm very happy to report that we have been travelling well and that all cars are going strong. We have had a couple of minor issues with the cars, but more an inconvenience rather than a problem. The brothers model a had a flat tyre due to a failed tube, he also managed to drop his fuel cap after not screwing it back on when he refuelled. After looking along the side of the road and not finding it, it was located wedged in behind the side mounted spare. He also had a fan belt which was delaminating and needed to be replaced. (we carry a spare)
The Chevrolet is losing transmission oil which is travelling down the torque tube into the differential. He periodically has to drain the excess from the diff. and top up the transmission. Fortunately my "A" has not yet experienced any issues. (but I guess my turn will come)
We have now travelled a total of 4379 km / 2721 miles and have remained on schedule since the start.
My last report from Nullarbor roadhouse was that we were experiencing severe winds and that we had decided to take a cabin. About 2 hours later would you believe that the winds died and we could have camped in the trailers after all.
The next days travel (469 km) to Cocklebiddy we did experience reasonably heavy winds but not as severe as we had the previous leg.
Yesterdays drive to Norseman (445km) was an excellent drive with only light headwinds.
Today is a rest day, or as we call it. an RDO. (Rostered Day Off) We will do a little servicing and some sightseeing and just relaxing.
A unique feature across the Nullarbor is the emergency RFDS (Royal Flying Doctor Service) airstrips. These are about a 1 mile stretch of the highway which is designated as an emergency landing area for the RFDS. These appear at frequent intervals of approx. 50 miles. I don't know if this is done anywhere else in the world. An other point of interest along the Nullarbor is the Bunda Cliffs. These spectacular cliffs at 120 meters in height run for hundreds of miles along the south coast of Australia, we had hoped to do a scenic flight along the coast from the Nullarbor Roadhouse but unfortunately the severe winds grounded the aircraft. The other major point of interest along the way was the 90 mile straight. The longest straight road in Australia.

Until the next report.
Regards from Down Under.

Pictures.
1 The Bunda Cliffs
2 Cars at the Cliff tops
3 The Quail looking south to the Antarctic
4 Cars at the Bunda Cliff tops.
5 Fuel prices. $1.96 ltr regular unleaded. We have paid as high as $1.99
6 Crossing the border into West Australia
7 Emergency airstrip
8 At the start of the 90 mile straight
9 The endless road west.
10 Only flat at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.JPG (80.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0603.JPG (101.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.JPG (58.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.JPG (108.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.JPG (100.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.JPG (113.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.JPG (78.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0640.JPG (85.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.JPG (67.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.JPG (95.3 KB, 99 views)