View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
Keith True

Default Re: Powder Coating: Wheels

Terry,If you're going to keep the car garaged when not in use,and not left in the sun you could get by with the equipment enamel.It will fade fast if left parked in the sun all the time.It seems to stay on well if applied properly over a properly prepared surface.When I was painting a lot of equipment I had to buy it in drums.Farmall red,John Deere green,and Omaha orange were the common colors for me.Black I would buy in five gallon pails as I didn't use too much of it.I painted the wheels on my 30 pickup about 1985 with Farmall red,they have just started to go to a satin finish.But,they have always been under cover when not in use.We all have to weigh our budget against our real needs.Most everybody wants the top of the line product that will last forever when they start a project,and either back off when they see what things will cost them,or refuse to do it until they can afford the right stuff.A lot of those are the ones that never get done.I drive a truck that is on it's third body and second frame.If I had held out and done it once the right way I would have lost out on 30 years of driving it.I would not use the implement paint on outside body parts,that is where I would splurge.Even a cheap short line urethane works better than most of the good paints of 25 years ago.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote