View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Heated Seats In The Model "A"

While restoring my Victoria, I thought there must be a practical and non-evasive way to provide comforting heat for the driver and passengers riding in my car during Long Island, New York winters. Electric seat heating pads! We have been sitting on these things for years.

Heated seat pads are available that fit the single person folding seats and bench seats in the Model "A." Heated seats require 12VDC, and in my application the current draw is a total of 11A with all pads ON. My Victoria has a 12V, 60A alternator that is more than adequate. The hookup wire I used is AWG18 stranded copper. The pads have integral fuses.

The heating pads require a 2-wire hookup which I accomplished with 2 terminal strips attached to the inside of the firewall with commercial grade Velcro. One terminal block is grounded to a started motor mounting bolt, and the other terminal block connects to the left side of the terminal box so that current draw registers on the ammeter. Each of the power outlets has separate wire runs from the terminal blocks.

The single person seat pad is a Sojoy SJ115R054 with specifications of 12VDC, 4A max, 5A/250V fuse, 1150 F, a temperature controller with 45 minute timer, cigarette lighter type power plug with LED indicator, non-slip soft velour with buckled elastic attachment straps and it’s size is 43"x19"x0.5". Cost was $22 each.

The Zone Tech Heated Rear Seat Cushion is similar in construction to the Soyjoy and it measures 51.1”x19.7”, operates on 12VDC drawing 3A with a 10A fuse, has a cigarette lighter type power plug with LED indicator, attaches with black elastic straps, and has a digital temperature controller with an integral 45 minute timer. Cost was $20. There are many other brands to choose from.

It takes a few minutes for the pads to reach operating temperature, and the heat is very comfortable. The pads do not slide out of position, and the bungee cord technique of attachment on the front seats works well. The total cost was less than $100.