Thread: Headlight Help
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
Badpuppy

Default Re: Headlight Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdeb View Post
I am trying to improve headlight performance. Need some advice. I have been using standard two filament 32 CP bulbs.

1. One of my lenses might be original or at least older than the other. One shows clear white. The other has a slight yellow tint. Just curious on this one. Common problem?
2. My reflectors are pretty hazy. I have polished them, but that has not changed much. Before I spend the money, will new reflectors make a significant improvement?
3. I purchased LED bulbs. 300k I do not see much improvement over the 32CP. LED bulbs are not expensive. I am going to try 600k. I know they will be "whiter" but not all that much brighter.
4. What is your experience with halogen?
5. What is your experience with sealed beam?

Thanks.
The brightest bulb Ford authorized for model A was 21/32 CP, A-1116. 32 CP stresses the capacity of the generator, and should be used sparingly. Obviously overuse of 50 CP can shorten the life of the generator.

1. Yellowing of lenses is likely due to sun exposure, as previously stated.

2. Haze usually results from silver sulfate, oxidation from air exposure. If it is not removed before polishing, it will be sealed in by any wax content. Salt and vinegar solution removes the tarnish easily. New aluminized reflectors are the best remedy, as they require practically no maintenance.

3. 3000K LEDs mimic the wavelengths produced by incandescent filaments. 6000K are somewhat brighter but I suspect they will make it more difficult to see through fog and snow. They generally can't be focused; however they reduce current draw dramatically.

4. Halogen bulbs require at least as much current as 50 CP bulbs, see above.

5. Sealed beam, like halogen - too much current. As an added bonus, they're ugly.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote