View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
Synchro909

Default Re: The wife and I drive our 30 coupe in to town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Any time you have fast food it can be an invitation to disaster!

But really, what are you going to do? You can't even hide in a cave, caves have bats, and they think that's where the virus became transferable to humans.

Syncro's situation baffles me, how does driving around cause a problem?
It's not the driving around that causes a problem - it is what you do while you are out. In your case, you ran the risk of picking up the bug at the drive through. You may have brought it home and spread it to others who in turn spread it etc etc.
Police here are enforcing restrictions with vigour. After the public kicked up a stink, police here finally withdrew the fines for a mother and daughter (who live in the same house) out for a driving lesson. Here, a student driver must have 120 hours on the road and keep a logbook signed by the licensed driver to be eligible to sit the test. The 120 hours is supposed to be in all driving conditions. We had just had quite a bit of rain so it was the ideal opportunity for mum to take daughter out for experience on wet roads. Because a driving lesson is not a necessary activity, they were booked. Police are using helicopters, number plate recognition (every police car has it fitted) and patrols to make sure people don't travel during Easter. No going to the holiday house, no visiting family no travelling interstate- no leaving the house unless it is for one of the only 4 accepted reasons:
  • To buy food or medication
  • Receive or give medical treatment
  • Exercise
  • To or from your essential job
A driving lesson does not qualify and 2 in a car is not maintaining social distancing, they said.
As draconian as these rules are, I'm for it because we are beating this bug. With a population of about 26 million, we have had 6,100 confirmed. infections and 51 deaths. By comparison, your country has about 15 times as many people so that would be 91,500 infections and 765 deaths. Think about it!
Most of us on this forum are in the "At Risk" category, me included so I am quite happy to put up with a little inconvenience now for a longer term gain in the future.