View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #476
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Post information To Caldwell with Caldwell.

I wrote about a family who were ag operators at Caldwell. They converted their radial ag planes to Garret gas turbines, engines off aeroplanes they purchased from customs in Florida, aeroplanes that had been confiscated for drug smuggling. A story of initiative.
I have communicated with Loraine Caldwell, widow of Bob. I wrote of Bob some time back and I think I may run it again. Bob died of prostate some years back and I wrote of that too. Now Loraine tells me the family’s (in the story) name is Hubler. The story has a sad chapter. The son whose name was Gary was an experienced ag pilot and also was an ace winning the Reno formula 1 race from 2002 to 2006 inclusive. In 2007 he was killed at that air race in a midair collision.
Aeroplane deaths are sad for me. Even sadder are deaths of pilots who are descendents of operators or pilots. I know several and two of families who were particularly close to me and their pilot sons had flown for me.
May Gary be at peace now. His parents, spouse and children will spend the rest of their lives with sadness. I feel for each of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.JPG (12.3 KB, 0 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote