View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #475
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Episode 3 of 3

To Caldwell with Caldwell.

I was pleased to depart Caldwell for I was able to leave my embarrassment behind. We were tracking N.N.W. and I was amazed to see water pumped from the Snake river to the flat country high up for irrigation trough centre pivot irrigators. It must have been at least a 400 foot lift. I found it difficult to believe these crops could be viable considering the cost of energy to raise water that high. Petroleum or electricity must have been cheap or the grown product must have paid very well.
We stayed that night at Walla Walla. Self and 2 buddies thought the town was delightful. I remember the oak trees, the pleasant weather. I was taken to meet an ag operator who like me operated Agcats. He was informative but I reckon he could talk under water.An old WW2 aerodrome and the open undulating country to the east where I figured farmers grew cereal.
We had lunch at Klamath Falls. I was impressed that cropdusters, private aeroplanes, airlines and military aeroplane could integrate and operate off one airfield.
Getting close to Williams Cal Bob suggested we get our cameras ready. We flew over a ripe cereal crop which had been harvested to form the words “farming sucks”. It would have been just as visible from an airliner flying at high altitude. Bob and I could understand that, my 2 buddies who both were farmers heartily agreed.
Bob had been a great and generous host. I find Americans are a welcoming and generous lot of people. I always reciprocated when Bob came to Australia or other Americans for that matter.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote