View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #455
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Emu.

A large bird with a height of between 5 and 6 foot and weigh up to 100 pound. Flightless, powerful legs and a good runner. Not found in towns, rarely on farms but always on the plains which encompasses stations properties. Some time ago I counted 82 about 40 miles north of Tocumwal whilst I was there spraying burrs. Station properties don't mind them. Most people like them except farmers because they flatten crops and sometimes fences.

Raising their young. Mum lays the eggs and does a runner. Male incubates them and nurtures the young until they are independent and quite big.
It was a craze or trend some years ago to farm them. Emu products were supposed to have stormed the world with nutrition, health and beauty stuff. The new wonder products. Then it all seemed to fade. There were literally some thousands of birds. I don’t know what ever happened to them all. It could be a little like my friend Johnny who acquired 2oo sheep over night. I’ll conclude with that story. The current price of a prime lamb topped out at 250 AUD but has got so low the sale yard selling price was insufficient to pay a carrier to transport them there. Now that’s a variation of extremes but yes I’ve seen it happen on 2 occasions. Well Johnny gets up for breakfast and looks out his window to find more than 200 head in his front paddock. Unwanted ovine. Ovine being sheep just as bovine is cattle.

Tomorrow the Lyrebird. Don't miss this remarkable bird. David Attenborough will do a commentary on this fellow. You will be amazed at what you see.

All these bird pictures have come from the internet.

In the last week I have caught a possum, one that stripped my small fig tree, have had a kangaroo in my yard which with it's big feet jumped through my garden and a koala bear in my tree. I like possums and kangaroos but I like them better in someone else's yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emu nest of eggs..JPG (53.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg emu 2.JPG (17.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg emu young ones.JPG (55.1 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote