View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #364
40 Deluxe

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
How does one muster with an aeroplane?
Answer to 40 Delux

First run is slow and when you have the cattle's attention, they will turn and run. Generally in the last 30 at least. After that just buzz them. It is important to have the coaches set in a position they will run naturally. Use scrub or tracks.
Bulls are more difficult and they can be run only a short distance. I used to carry a browning 12 gauge 5 shot and put that out the door of the Cub and shoot with my right hand. the window opens upwards and door downwards. I'd feed the gun from the back and get it out the door. I would never have a shot in the breech and never put it back without firing all shots.Once the bulls are in the coaches they were difficult to hold. At times nothing would hold them.
with the helicopter the noise would move them. They would run further too. We set up a portable yard and run wings out from the entrance and make a hessian wall. One had to be careful not to blow it out with rotor down wash. the cattle would see and they knew they had been bluffed. Then it was extremely difficult to contain them. it's not easy work
Thanks, Gary, but this ignorant Yank needs some explanation. Why the 12 gauge? To scare the cattle into running, or to shoot them in the hind end to make them run? Nah, you can't aim that good from a plane! What's a hessian wall? How far would you have to run the cattle to get them to the trucks (coaches?)? Which worked better for mustering, fixed wing or helicopter? Thanks, Allan
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote