View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Default Re: Fuel/Gas Tank "Restoration"

With Por-15,Kreem, or other similar tank sealers it is important to follow instructions. The key is not allowing any corrosion to form inside the tank during the change over from cleaning to sealing. They usually give you a bottle of tank prep B (MEK) to slosh around in there to get rid of any traces of water or left over crud. The MEK is sort of a thinner for the sealer so I don't bother to let it dry. I just pour out the MEK and pour in the sealer & start the slosh process. This will generally keep any corrosion from starting to form inside the tank. Once it is coated, the corrosion will not try to form in there. If anything in the tank is not coated, the corrosion will start to form very soon after the excess sealer is removed. A person has to make sure everything is coated even if you have to paint it with a long brush. Some tanks are impossible to see into so you just don't know about those. Model A tanks are bad that way. If I ever sealed one of those damn things again, I think I would purchase a few more gallons of sealer just to make sure.

Another alternative it to take it to a galvanizing shop & have them dip the sucker in their tank but that stuff doesn't flow as well at tin/lead terne dip so I'd make sure they got it all out of there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote