View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
roddyb34

Default Re: Babbitt bearing inserts

Hi ,,now i am getting really confused with the babbitt /shells debate ,,As someone who is on the other side of the world [Australia] and is weghing up rebuild options on an A engine i am trying to figure where to go ,,i am not sure of anyone out here [Australia ] that i could be assured could do a Babbitt job correctly ,,any Aussies had succes ?,, we have a local "Vintage Engine Expert" that has recently done an A engine that failed soon after ,,he said its a big job to do because he has to "hand scrape" all the bearings to fit,,??,,,by the looks of the beautifull pics above of the J and M babbitt job its a machine finish ,,regarding the worn shell pics Is all that wear from just 100 miles use?,,can you give an idea why ?is it from lugging it?,,,,what is the owner going to do to rectify it?,,
my current engine that i am runningthat came from the U.S.in an A coupe has had a rebuild at some time but #3 rod is knocking lightly but has no shims left ,,so the rest is also unknown Quality ,,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote