View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
James Rogers

Default Re: Babbitt bearing inserts

I agree with Mike and J&M about the availability of inserts and babbitt. You will find shops that recommend babbitt or some that suggest inserts because that is what they prefer but you won't find many that will suggest both or doing either. I have had blocks in my shop that were bored for inserts that the bearings were of some obscure make or non-existant and impossible to replace. I also find many different ways to address the thrust and many DON'T WORK or, are impossible to duplicate. In the end, if you go with inserts, you will be FOREVER at the mercy of the builder and only him in many cases. I also, will add, if you have a catastrophic failure with an insert that spins in the block, you have a very good boat anchor on your hands. This last comment is in complement to J&M's comment on spun insert bearings.

I have had motors come in with the babbitt completely gone in the center main BLOCK and CAP, that didn't even need the crank polished to make the needed repairs. This will never happen with inserts Model A or modern.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote