View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Interesting observation with a 59L block- Still pretty thick @ 3 3/8ths bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I would really check the bores to see if they are round and with no taper. A hone will not fix any of these issues. Usually when the bores are worn this much, they are not uniform - so don't try to just hone them (if it was me, I would bore it).

You may need to do a .020 overbore to get the bores in good shape - then have custom pistons made. I'm surprised it is that thick - did he happen to take measurements up and down the bore? Most 3 3/8 blocks that I have sonic tested only have about .100 to .110 max in them. BUT - you don't know about years of rust and other things that come into play. Good luck with the engine - should be a BIG cube thumper!
Hey Dale:

I guess we'll see. I trust Ronnie's opinion fully on where the bores need to go. Still need to get the final word from mag testing.

So, let's say 3 3/8" +.010-.030 over, Potvin 3/8ths or Isky 1007B cam, aluminum flywheel, larger valves, and Ron's magic will make this motor a real hot rod mill.

Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote