View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Model B engine transmission and brakes on Model A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have installed '32-34 brakes on all 4 wheels of my model A and have installed fronts only on several others.

Use the original Model A cross shaft.

The fronts are a piece of cake as there are no modifications required at all, just bolt them on, but be sure to use the longer 32-34 operating pins.

The rears are a bit more involved. Use the Model A cross shaft and add a lever on it for the emergency brake. This is necessary because the 32-34 brakes do not have separate emergency brake mechanisms in the rear backing plates and only have one lever on each rear backing plate. When you pull back on the emergency brake handle, you apply the brakes on all four wheels, not just the rears.

You will need to heat the rear levers and bend them closer to the backing plate and also twist them a little to get the rear brake rods to clear the shocks and to line up with the Model A cross shaft levers.

You will need to space the rear drums away from the backing plates by adding axle shims and/or machining a little off the outside lip of the drums. For some reason, the backing plate mounting surface on the Model A rear axle housing is closer to the end of the axle than the '32-34. This puts the 32-34 backing plate out too far and the drum will interfere.

You have to re-work the pull rods from the brake pedal so it has a long slot on the end that attaches to the cross shaft lever. You have to make a shorter pull rod for the emergency brake handle with a long slot in the end that attaches to the new lever you added to the cross shaft. Look at the long slots on the pull rods the 32-34's used. This will keep the emergency brake handle from moving when you push on the brake pedal and will keep the pedal from going down when you pull back on the emergency brake handle.

Adjust the 32-34 brakes the same way you would adjust Model A brakes.

You will wind up with 12 inch drums on all four corners and better brakes.

However, while I have complete welding, machining and fabricating facilities in my shop, I would NOT install the 32-34 rear brakes again, only the fronts. I would then do a full restoration on the rear brakes using new cast iron drums and woven linings.

This is MUCH easier and will give you a more balanced system. You will be adding brake effort to the front axle and and getting away from the less than optimum 40/60 front to rear ratio that was designed into all the early Ford mechanical brakes.

I would also use woven linings on the fronts. The parts in the front backing plates are all the same as Model A except the shoes, linings and shoe return springs. The operating pins are 1/2 inch longer to compensate for the larger drums.

The problem with 32-34 brakes is finding good drums. Most are oversized and worn out and they do not make reproductions.

My experience and My opinion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 10-06-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote