View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
expavr

Default Horn Button Meltdown?

The horn button on the 40 Tonner had a meltdown about 3 weeks ago. I finally got around to changing it out thanks to a Fordbarner who had a button similar to the original. The question is what could have caused this to happen? Usually I kill the ground by disconnecting it at the battery terminal when the truck won't be used for a while. The meltdown happened over about a 4 day period when it was parked and the ground was connected. No blaring horn to indicate that the contact surface was touching the tit. Photo 1 shows the original button next to its replacement. Photo 2 shows the contact surfaces on the back of each button. I had to drill a hole in the replacement button due to the fact that it wouldn't clear the tit on the steering column. The drilled hole doesn't affect the horn's operation. It will blow when the new button is pressed. Photo 3 shows the contact point in the column. The hotwire that extends from the steering column and connects to the battery lead from the wiring harness at the steering box is in good condition - no bare wire touching the box. I discovered that the wire in the harness is always hot even with the ignition switch off. Is it supposed to be that way? Other than that what am I missing? Why the meltdown?
Les Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Button-2.jpg (73.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Button-3.jpg (76.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Button-4.jpg (65.2 KB, 57 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote