View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
expavr

Default Re: 1938 Tonner Bed Floor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenski View Post
Wow! I really appreciate your detailed account of what you personally experienced. The bed on my truck when I got it looked quite different than yours, and I was able to determine little from it. My bed also had clear signs of modifications and had been beaten up a bit.

Your bed looks similar. Attached are photos of how I approached the reconstruction of the bedwood and installation of the bed. I was able to reuse all but one of the OEM wood crossmembers. For the deckwood I opted to use Apitong which is a hardwood that we put on the decks of our lowbed and trailers. I was fortunate to have the original deckwood to use for patterns. The metal hold down deck runners came from Northwest or Macks - can't remember which. All wood surfaces were liberally coated with Tung oil before being installed. I kept the original bedwood and can send you those dimensions if the sheet metal on your bed is the same as mine which it looks to be. Try to salvage those large washers that anchor the bed to the frame. I think they're unique. The other hardware that anchors the metal runners which hold down the bedwood to the crossmembers are carriage bolts that came in the kit with the metal runners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BED-6A.jpg (70.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BED-7A.jpg (53.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg BED-8A.jpg (56.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg BED-9A.jpg (58.5 KB, 34 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote