View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 AM   #172
4bangerbob

Smile Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
Very nice.

A few questions - and my apologies if I missed this in the messages -

1. I was surprised that the oil pressure was not higher.. like in the 30psi range. Was the low pressure expected and is there any reason why it isn't higher ?

2. Is the oil pan baffle / dipper tray still part of the pan assembly, or eliminated in the new build?

3. Without the connecting rod dippers creating an oil torrent, how do the cylinder walls get adequate lubrication.

Thank You
George
Good questions. And great to see the progress that has been made during these unpresented times. This project is challenging enough without all this additional issues related to the pandemic...........

I see several types of oil pumps laying on the assembly table, but appears to be stock looking pump (externally) on the one mounted to the motor. According to Terry's posting it says stock pump was used in initial test, so appears oil would be able to pass into valve chamber past the two slots in the upper end of the oil pump. second test had modified pump according to the post with enlarged oil inlet and reduced pump shaft? diameter, and maybe still had the two open slots to allow full passage of oil into valve chamber?

In saying that, I see the opening on the return pipe from the valve chamber has one opening rather then the normal three openings and the single hole is reduced in size from the original. So if they had dipper tray installed it appear maybe expectation for less oil returning from valve chamber and majority of the oil returning through the main and rod bearings directly into the pan and centrifugal force throwing oil onto the piston bores and camshaft lobes?

I would have imagined after the testing they have disassembled and re-inspected major and minor wear surfaces to determine any unusual wear points.

I like the provision for dowel pins on all the main bearing mounting of the caps.

Are the bearing caps steel or Cast iron?

I see that front and centre mains are using bolts and nuts per original design. and appears #2 #4 and rear main bearings are using studs, so minor deviation on the rear main.

I would be curious to know how well the new rear main seal performed during the testing?

This initial flywheel appears to be cast iron, is this correct? and clutch mounting is for 9" clutch? Did the initial flywheel come in close to the anticipated 22 pound weight?

Looking forward to being able to place my order in the near future...
4bangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote