Thread: ALT Fuse
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
DNLs1930

Default Re: ALT Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Nielsen View Post
Check out: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=accessory

There are some posts in there by Y-Blockhead showing a fuse panel install that is unique and exceptionally cheap. He also mentions installing circuit breakers on his starter motor and at the alternator. If you contact him, he will send a well-done schematic of his layout that addresses your issue. His electrical system is 12V but all the 12V components (circuit breakers) work exactly the same for 6V, which is what I also have. I just completed installation of this same setup, which works very well including the 12V version of the circuit breaker.
Thanks for the link!!! I did a quick scan and it looks pretty complete coverage of the conversation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The traditional installation of a fuse for a Model A is to mount it on top of the starter. It is then electrically located between the battery and the generator (or alternator). Should the fuse blow while the engine is stopped, you will not be able to start the car because the ignition circuit is not being powered by the battery. Should the fuse blow while the engine is running, the engine will continue to run because the ignition circuit is being powered from the generator (or alternator), not the battery. The danger here is that the generator (or alternator) does not see the battery and no longer has a voltage reference. The generator (or alternator) will then run wild with the voltage raising to levels that will do damage to the generator (or alternator).

Tom Endy
My question was more while the engine is running and a short being supplied power by the alternator. I obviously need to revisit the wiring diagram to see how a single or dual fuse would affect the overall circuit.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote