Thread: Car Radio
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Car Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Funny as I watched the movie years ago and never noticed the radio. It is obviously fake because the depth of a radio of the era would not have fit facing the tank like that.

I bought a universal fit Philco 1935 radio with thoughts of fitting it someday to my '29 Tudor. The radio unit would fit in the passenger footwell and radio control panel could fit under the Tudor central dash facia. But I always felt it would be ugly. Probably Henry felt his Model A could not be designed to have these new fangled radio contraptions? Certainly 1927 radio technology had not matured enough for radio as a practical consideration in a Ford.

Just to note, I have an RCA Radiola 62 console superheterodyne from 1928. (Note all practical car radios from the early thirties onward had to be superheterodyne). It cost then new about $300 or more than half the original cost of a new Ford Tudor! It is interesting to put the the relative technologies of the time into proper perspective.
In my day repairing those radios, 9 times out of 10, it was the vibrator or the rectifier tube that failed. I understand now there is a solid state replacement for the Vibrator that was the weak link on these old radios. One great thing, is the noise filtering electronics to quiet the vibrator internal arcing and high voltage generated noise had to be excellent.

I see you wish to do something with a vintage radio of the day. I have been looking at how to attach a Panasonic RF-888 Radio to the gas tank using some very strong magnets to hold the radio in place. I have attached a picture of the radio that works on batteries. What I liked about this one is it is flat, and mounted with the speaker down it has all the dials and frequency display laid out to be the right side up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.06.26 PM.jpg (15.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by DHZIEMAN; 12-10-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote