View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
socalplanedoc

Default Re: Different types of Sta-Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
we have in the past gone to the local airport and purchased low octane avgas . this was put in our bike collection [old honda dirt bikes] with a dosen bikes , not one of them had any trouble running this spring , also we filled our snow mobiles up with the same, and no carb cleaning in fall to worry about . works for us . just a thought... I believe the octane is 80/87 if Im correct.
The only avgas in wide use now is 100 octane low-lead (100LL) - 80/87 went away years ago. 100VLL (Very Low Lead( has now been approved but I dont believe anyone is carrying it anywhere. There's a couple of firms now working to get 94UL approved - I expect to see it in the next couple of years. 94UL is essentially 100LL with no lead. All of these fuels have no alcohol... none.. zip.
I run 100LL in everthing I own that doesnt have a cat converter.. chainsaw, lawnmower, generator, the Harley, along with the Model A. Oh ya, I run it in the planes too

It's expensive and illegal to run Avgas on street vehicles in my state since the state isnt getting any road tax money from it's sale. Do I care? No one is going to pull my Fordor over and test the gas. My fuel system stays corrosion free, avgas doesnt need stabil, and thanks to the odorant the feds put in it so you can tell what it is, the exhaust actually smells kinda purdy.

If you dont already have access to an airport it's hard to get though..

Due to the high risk of failure, the FAA vigorously resists change without a monsterous amount of research and evidence the change wont cause any harm. That's often frustrating but at least in the case of fuel, they've kept the alcohol out and will most likely keep it that way.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote