View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #9
larrys40

Default Re: Club Safety Inspections

Ruth
Back in the 80’s we started doing voluntary safety check day in our local club. My previous A mentor terry Oberer and I put it together becUse there were too many cars that were breaking down on tours and having safety issues. We hoped by identifying them folks would realize the deficiencies and fix them. It was avoid thing as we found many serious issues. Brakes, steering etc. we used a check list which included obvious like brakes, steering , etc but also included glass ( safety or plate) , electrical , etc.
in the end and over time it not only accomplished our goal but gave new members in particular a good overview of their cars and most of them would eventually be fixed and we’re better for it. It’s an excellent learning tool and we made it a hands on day for all. It was also a popular tech type event day.
Of course I do service and restoration now full time but it’s a rarity for one of our guys to have an issue and the cars are in better shape generally than they were 30 years ago.

I think today everyone’s so scared of liability but you can put a liability disclaimer on your form to your liking. We haven’t had it for some time as we now do Model A start up parties for cars not run in 40-50 plus years and have been successful for 28 years. It too has been an awesome event. For those that attended the Branson Marc meet our club the Missouri valley region sponsored and performed a start up there . It was a memorable event .
I would encourage you to do the safety and mechanical check and use checklist and make notes of deficiencies.

Happy to assist you with more info if you need.
Larry shepard
Missouri valley region MARC
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote