View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
montanafordman

Default Re: Towing A Model A

I towed my 31 coupe from near Havre, MT to Tacoma, WA a year ago. I towed it with my 98 F-150 and a U-Haul trailer. Other than my half ton pickup sucking down the gas @ 9-11mpg (heavy load w/o overdrive) the trip was great. I was pulling at about 65mph the whole way, If I'd slowed it down a bit I might have had better milage. I've had my F150 since new and with 175K on the odometer and 13 years old it towed my 5,000+ pound payload (lots of spare wheels and parts in the bed) over 4 mountain passes and didn't burn (or leak) a drop of oil. The trailer ran me $305 dollars for the nearly 800 mile trip. Fuel? Well lets just say thank God it wasn't with this years prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulShinn View Post
As you can see from the picture, I like to add additional ratchet straps to the front and rear axles.
Agreed! I used extra ratchet straps also and was glad I did. A word of warning with the U-Haul trailer is that their front tire straps that are secured to the trailer have a tendancy to slip off the narrow, tall Model A wheels. Secure it well and check it often.

Last edited by montanafordman; 09-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote