View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #16
Test Osterone

Default Re: Recently Acquired 50 Ford With A Merc Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Howdy Test Osterone, and Everyone else! I'm certainly no engine expert but if you are curious about the crank... Same trick to find TDC on any given cylinder.

Couldn't an easy stroke test be to take a chopstick or ke-bob stick and put it down a handy empty spark plug hole, mark lowest and highest points when spinning engine BY HAND and bingo, a rough stroke measurement? Be sure to video it for us, don't shoot the stick across the garage or dent the underside of the hood. I always wear safety glasses. You might have to jiggle the stick a little as it moves up and down so it doesn't get crushed, but that's why you use something soft (no screwdrivers) and don't use power to turn the engine.

Just a thought, and congrats on the new car, I think that year is very sharp.

edit: Waitaminute! What is that silver thing parked next to your new baby? Looks like an 'I' car, ends with the letter I? Duh, on third look I noticed the banner. Color me green with envy.
Yes, you are right. It is one of those with an "I" ending Marque. This one is a 456 GT. 12 cylinder front engine 2+2 car. Not an in your face Ferrari, but one with some elegance and lots of go... In it's day, was the fastest production car in the world save for the F-40. Please excuse the Ford above the 456 GT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
The only thing you can measure through the spark plug hole on a Ford flathead is the exhaust valve lift. You have to either remove a head or the oil pan to measure stroke.
Seems logical, but not practical in real life. Will simply believe it is the Merc variant of the Ford Flathead.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
And that big ol carbytutor with its big inlet manifold risers, good for a few more horses.
Martin.
Is this considered a "high rise" intake manifold? Or, is this the OE Merc intake manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
I agree Ron, it's a stupid distributor.
Martin.
Really? Seeems to work well. Should it be a different configuration for even better performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
It looks like it has a Malory dist. Walt
How to tell if it is a Malory dist? From the discussions above, is this configuration not desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Yep! and one with centrifugal advance as well. Maybe not as good as a good vac. advance but better than original.
What is the best distributor configuration for this application?

Guys,

Really appreciate your contribution to this thread and certainly for my education on all things "flathead!"

Again, many thanks for all of your comments as well as contributions and help on all the various applications for this most interesting platform.

Test.

Last edited by Test Osterone; 11-29-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Test Osterone is offline   Reply With Quote