View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #70
GOSFAST

Default Re: 59 AB engine rebuild

Hi Larry, just an important tip to others here doing any assembling on ANY build, doesn't matter the mfr, the very first item to check is to make certain the cam fits the newly installed cam brgs, this is done first!!

When we do the cam brgs here we always try a cam for fit BEFORE the job is delivered and the customer finds the issue.

We have almost all brands (mfr's) of cams to work with, we tape up ALL the lobes and any gears and try it for fit! There is nothing worse than a customer calling and saying "I can't get the cam in OR I can't turn it when it goes in", this is very frustrating to the assembler. And this is why I say this should be the very first checkpoint. Too many assemblers go ahead and install the crank, rods, and pistons first and then "hit" the panic button when it's the cams turn! Having it all together makes a "cam-brg-repair" that much more difficult.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'm curious if you "honed" directly on the cam brgs OR the cam brg holes in the block?? You cannot "hone" babbited material, the grit WILL embed it self in there!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote