View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
LeroyM

Default How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

This is an update on my earlier post about how to lower a Model A. First I have to give credit to a few people who gave me some tips and tricks on making this whole thing come together. Fordbarner’s NealinCA, kelly’s restoration and H.A.M.B’er Elrod’s post answered a lot of questions I had. Also Fordbarner JM 35 Sedan for letting me have the axle I needed.

My original goal was to lower my Model A coupe but still run mechanical brakes and use the original shocks. I had broken springs so I bought a new reverse eyed front spring from Snyder’s. That lowered the front 1 inch but I still wanted to go lower and the ride with the new springs was very stiff so I took three springs out of the ten leaf pack. The springs I took out were 2, 3 and 4 from the top of the spring pack. This lowered the front another 1 1/4”. I still wasn’t happy with the look and wanted to go lower. To do this I need to do some research and find some hard to find parts.

The parts to go lower were 32-34 spring perches, 32 spindles and a 32-36 axle. Total time to find theses parts were about a month. Once I found the parts everything worked fine with new Model A kingpins and bushings from Mac’s and Model A spring shackles from Snyder’s. Two problems I ran into were bushings for the 32 spring perches. No one makes them so I had to go to the machine shop and get a piece of 3/4” pipe that had a 1/2” inside diameter and drill the center out to 9/16” to allow the Model A shackles to fit. The other problem I had was tie rod ball studs. I did not order any since I thought the Model A tie rod ball studs came off but they do not since they are all one piece.

One other thing that is needed is a 1/4” spacer to go between the axle and wishbone since the 32-36 axle is 2” and the Model A wishbone is 2 1/4”. I looked all over to find theses spacers and ended up finding them at Fastenal. They had to be ordered and were called a extra heavy fender washer that was 1/4” x 1 1/2”. The center hole was 1/4 but a 11/16 drill bit took care of drilling them out to allow them to work for what I needed.

The end result with the new axle brought the front end down another 1 3/4” for a total drop with everything of right at 4” inches lower from stock. With 600x16’s in the front and 700x16’s in the back it puts the look right where I want it which is a late 40’s to early 50’s style look.

I did some measuring and right at the center of the wheel to the bottom lower lip of the fender comes to be 27 1/2" and right in the center of the front radiator apron I have 7 1/2".

Here’s a few pictures I took this afternoon. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks.

LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote