View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #51
Ron/IA

Default Re: Model A Fords and Ford 2.0 and 2.3 engines

I usually read with interest, but don't participate in threads that go off subject when there is a "Joe vs. Dave" commentary. I find that I end up picking a side, and I am all for a person's right to express their opinion; so I just leave the thread alone.

With that said, I am a purist when it comes to any old or classic car. To me there is some thing about owning and operating a vehicle as it came from the factory. I gain knowledge and perspective of what a new car purchaser must have went through during those years. I also gain historical knowledge of that era, and the people making it possible. When the car is not original; I lose that perspective of history. What I see then is a person's work to build that hot rod or modified, and can appreciate it just for that. I also find it to be a challenge because with time, new technology makes things better and user friendly. So there is a mightly temptation to change in the names of ease, availability, cost, and safety.

A properly restored and maintained Model A is a good car. It will do what it was designed for (driving), and continue to do it without fail (the car has been doing that for 80-years). Hydraulic brakes, electronic ignitions, pinto engines, alternators, etc are not required to enjoy the Model A. However, I am not going to deny anyone from doing the above changes, and certain changes are no-brainers; take safety glass for instance.

I will admit I would try and discourage using an authentic Model A for a pinto engine installation; just for the fact I want to see as many original parts to stay original parts. But I can see the challenge and convenience; less vibration, fewer or no leaks, etc. Let's face it, the Model A is a challenge whether it is original or modified, and I AM NOT THE OWNER. That person can do what he wants, and in no way deserves any backlash for doing so. That statement I will defend.

I have found that each Model A owner has their own perspective on how their A should look and operate. I am no different; I use a diode instead of a cut-out, standard radiator hose clamps instead of original type (for some reason I can't get the originals to stop leaking), and a leakless seal on the water pump. My wheels are painted orange; even though I know they came from the factory black. I just decided since the car is black too, black wheels were just too much. Again, my own perspective.

I can't answer the orginal poster's question how and what is required to install a Pinto engine, but I do know there is information for him to do so (their are other forums that would probably produce more deatiled information), and if I were to tackle such a challenge; would ask the same question, but would be offended if the answers were of what has been replied in this thread. I respect the question being asked, and as my grandfather stated, "Don't say something that will get you a nasty answer unless you are prepared to accept it."

The above is just my humble opinion.
Thanks,

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/

Last edited by Ron/IA; 08-25-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote