View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 1940 Steering lock Disassembly

I have seen some previous post about how to get the steering wheel locking mechanism apart. I took one apart the other day and took photos so I thought I would share them here. Im assuming that the column is out of the car and on the workbench.
1. Remove the two screws that hold the switch to the housing.
2. I then used a staple puller,looks like a screwdriver with a forked blade, and worked it under the switch lever to pry it off. Its on a splined shaft.
3. I didnt do it on mine but go ahead now and remove the two drive rivets and remove the ON/OFF switch plate, It will make things a litte easier later.
4. Drill a hole in the bolt that clamps it to the column and back the bolt out with an easy out.
5. If you have the key ,turn it to unlock position and slide the lock assembly off the column tube. If you dont have a key and I didnt, I drilled a hole in the locking pin for the cylinder and tapped a 10/32 hole then pulled it out with my dent puller. Then the cylinder can be slid out and the unit unlocked using a screwdriver.
6. Once the unit is off the tube remove the detent ball and spring,its uner the large screwhead below the on/off lever.Reach inside the column hole and push the locking bolt all way over to the unlock position it should go far enough to get a couple of screwdrivers and fulcrum the cap off the end of the bolt. Them push the bolt back to the inside and it will come out.

Im sure there are other methods but this worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (32.9 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.jpg (23.4 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (40.0 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0499.jpg (29.4 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (40.2 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0507.jpg (43.9 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0508.jpg (38.9 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (44.2 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0510.jpg (25.1 KB, 509 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote