View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Let's see the before and after pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
what body style is this? is it a sport coupe? pardon the rookie question... I thought the sport coupes had no rear side windows? that's really cool. possibly my favorite .
Not a rookie question at all, My Dad used slap up side the head when I was a kid as I kept calling it his "Business Coupe"
This is a 1928 "Special Coupe" made for only one year starting in June/July of 28. Some stories go that Ford did it to shore up lagging sales against Chevy's coupe, (equipped with a six) He had the top covering fall to the belt rail to give it a "Limo" look. Apparently didn't help and was discontinued soon, as it was more expensive for the wood and extra top material. No one can tell how many were cranked out as Ford regarded them the same as regular standard coupe in production figures.
Back when I started I knew of two cars now I have photos of maybe 30 from the net and from some seen in my travels. Seems more on the West coast survived but I am not sure. They could be living in dark barns in the East.
Thanks for asking, and BTW the Business Coupe some came with an Oval Porthole in the same location which was neat looking too. Mounted at a slant it must have been quite the stunner at the local golf courses, driven by only the most descerning businesss men!
Cheers Hitchhiker!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote