View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #232
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Well, I said I was starting on the front doors. I don't really see roll up windows, maybe sliders like on the old mini coopers. I will see how thick they end up with inside panels and what I can scrounge for mechanisms. I used hinges from rotted out pickup doors and drilled and countersunk for wood screws. The pins were worn so I redrilled to 9/64" and used a shank from a craftsman #2 phillips screwdriver for my new pins. Welded heavy washers on for a head. Next I mortised the hinges into my laminated door stiles and made the front stile open and close. I pretty much built the door in the opening because of the weird shape. I have now added the final lamination of 3/8" maple onto the door's forward and top faces, leaving about 5/8" overhang to fit into the pickup cowl's recess. Next I will have to rout in the dado for the panels and to spline in the belt line with a 'T' cutter wheel in the router. After this much work I know I'll have to have a touch of 'the recipe' to steady my hands and my nerves this afternoon. There is no going back with that slot cutter. I could have (maybe should have) routed much of this first but I never know how I'm doing anything until I get there. When this latest lamination dries I will re-hang in the opening and see how I did. Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door posts 014.jpg (46.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg front door frame 001.jpg (72.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg front door frame 004.jpg (67.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg front door frame 017.jpg (55.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg front door frame 025.jpg (62.0 KB, 76 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote