View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #32
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

DAY 2

Sorry for the late report. I was too exhausted last night to do anything but climb in bed.

We made it another 338 miles to Fort MacLeod, AB by way of Glacier National Park, total of 790 miles so far, pretty close to my budget of 400 miles per day.

I was sure glad the KOA put me in a camping cabin instead of my tent as it was 31 degrees in the morning. Not too cold to sleep in but kinda nippy for getting dressed in.

From Butte we headed up the freeway until our first chance to get off of it and out into the country. That was Montana Highway 287 from the freeway to where it connected to US 89 to Glacier National Park. I've got to say that that 140 mile stretch of highway is one of the most uniquely scenic in all that I've driven in the U.S. It's gently undulating terrain covered with emerald grass should have been marked as a scenic byway if not an All American Road in my opinion.

When I was about to stop and take pictures of the most scenic spots I realized that those were the exact same spots AnnaRae and I stopped and photographed three years ago on our anniversary trip. To save time I'll share those again.

Approaching Agusta.

In Agusta it started to rain. I was glad that I had refreshed my Rain-X treatment on the windshield for those occasions that the wipers did not move ascending inclines.

Eventually the temperature dropped to 34 degrees and the rain turned to snow. The Rain-X didn't help much with snow.

Eventually, we arrived at Glacier National Park. We were only able to drive up 12 miles of the Going to the Sun highway but that drive was well worth it. The scenery at any time of year, including winter snow falling, is breathtaking. And the fresh smell of pine trees - - never smelled it stronger. Simply invigorating!

St. Mary's Lake with Goose Nest Island.

Mountain Peaks reaching above the clouds.

And eventually the end of the road.

Within an hour we crossed the border into Canada and headed north to our Motel in Fort MacLeod.

I was sure glad to get off of the freeway so that I could stop and "smell the roses" whenever I wanted to. I was also glad I installed a 12 volt power socket, not only to keep my laptop going but I also needed to charge my cell phone and mp3 player as we went along. I took a lot of great video that I'll produce and share when I get home.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-13-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote