View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #89
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Well, with work picking up the woodie takes a back seat but I manage a few hours in now and then. Made some thin plywood and cardboard patterns, did some routing into the pillars and spent way too long getting the rear fenders plumb, square and true to the floor structure. With the fender crowns returning in towards the body as they do on '40-'47 half tons, the shape of the arch changes dramatically with a little tilt of the fender's mounting. Now I'm ready to set up for finger jointing and making up these curved members around the fenders. I have collected a bunch of 5/8" shims and washers and plan to stack 10" sawblades with spacers on my table saw to create the finger joints. Should work ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 016.jpg (51.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 029.jpg (75.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg cooking blocks and woodie panels 033.jpg (73.5 KB, 96 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote