View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #74
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

The header has more curve than the beam behind it. I felt much better when I looked at the similar interior shot of a correct 47 woodie station wagon. My header has a curved bottom instead of Ford's vee shape. That just evolved through the build. It will have a valence covering it's rearward face so we don't see the unsightly spaces and gaps. I'm hoping to cut the other six roof beams in the shop tomorrow morning before we resume regular 'for pay' work because I'm all set up for the radius ..... The last photo is from a barner that build a correct ford style woodie wagon, not a renegade 'off the cuff' commercial job like mine. I am basing my version roughly on this and the youtube video by Alec Guerreo and what I think a small shop in a small town would have built from a pickup for a local resort to pick up their guests at the train station. I'm thinking in 1947 there were a lot of skilled woodworkers in the US job market. They got their training building wood airframes, boats and during the recent war would have been trained in the building of d-day gliders, pt boats and all manner of complicated wooden conveyences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 015.jpg (33.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 024.jpg (62.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 032.jpg (64.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (63.4 KB, 108 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote