View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Quick change rear end

Yes, it has been done and was very common for racing in the old days. They did make a Quick Change for the Model A rear ends. I think it is currently being reproduced in Australia. The Quick Change for the later V-8 rear end is currently being reproduced here in the US.

The advantage is you can easily change the final drive ratio. The disadvantage is they are expensive and if you are using the original "change gears", they are VERY NOISEY. We refer to a quick change as a "Howler" for good reason. There are helical gears available for the V-8 rear end that are much quieter but it requires some special bearings in the rear cover to accommodate the end thrust. I do not know if helical gears are available for the Model A rear end. The Model A gears are shorter than the V-8 gears.

I have used a Model A quick-Change in an old A V-8 Hot Rod I had and I am currently running a V-8 "Changer" in my old original chopped and channeled '34 3 Window Coupe. These are both pure Hot Rods and this is what you would expect.

Unless you plan to often be changing the rear end ratio, I do not think a Quick Change is practical. I think a Mitchell Overdrive gives you the best of both worlds.

My experience and my opinion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 01-27-2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)