View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
eystein

Default Re: Cabriolet Top Installation

Hmmmm....

The original posters' question was about tips for top installation. I have not tried to use a TIG welder for installation of top material, but I think I will abstain for the time being... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
For metal work I bought videos to watch. Shrinking magic I think was the one that really made a difference.

Understanding when it shrinks, when it is stretched and how it affects the dimensions of the metal changed how I approached metal work. I started doing things I did not think possible before.

I wanted all the fancy tools I saw people use. For a lot of the work as a hobbyist you can do well with a few quality tools and knowledge. It is much slower but you can pull of some good work. Where you start needing special tooling would be making long sections of a shape.

The one more pricey tool I would recommend buying if you want to be serious about fancy metal work is a decent TIG. The point heat lets you do things you cant imagine until you try it. I will not use MIG to put panels together anymore. I make close panels and tig the weld correcting the shrink as I go along. You can put together metal and have it to shape with minimal if any filler to level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I still use the old faithful gas welding techniques but I do have access to a TIG set up when I need it. Shrinking and stretching steel is a learned skill and the metallurgy involved is a good thing to study for the work to be accomplished.

Auto upholstery is also a learned skill and just as important when doing these type projects. With wood cars a person also has to be a bit of a carpenter at heart. I love this hobby.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote