View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
eystein

Default Re: Cabriolet Top Installation

First I would do is to check the top bows and make sure that they have enough "crown" and are not sagged or are new bows modeled after sagged originals. The no. 2 bow should have a steel reinforcement for added strength

Obviously the interior belt rail covering will have to be put on before the top kit.

The bows need to be covered in bow drill first. The no. 2 bow should be covered using only one piece of bowdrill, which is perfectly doable by putting it on with the weave diagonally to the bow. The triple hinge parts except for the pivot point of the hinge should be covered with the bows. The base of the hinge should be covered with the belt rail upholstery

I started with positioning the no. 2 bow correctly, (cut some custom wood peaces to hold it in place while installing), Then installed the back flap with the rear window.

You should have all top Irons in place and keep a sharp eye on the clearance between the no. 1 bow and the rollup windows as you stretch on the top constituents. Next goes the straps that connect the bows and the header, then the top padding.

Then I temporarily tacked in place the main top deck, taking a lot of time to make sure that everything was centered and would come out as I wanted it. Then I very carefully marked off and cut the top material over the roll up windows and sent off the kit to have the welting and the reinforcements over the windows sewn in. (By someone with a better sewing machine than what I've got)

Putting on the main top deck I found it extremely handy that I had modified the upper landau bracket by cutting off the stud to which the upper part of the landau attaches to and drilling a hole, tapping it and manufacturing a dismountable stud which can be taken off while stretching the material in place.

Woprd of warning : my experience comes from working on a 68-B and there may be some features of the 68-C that I have overlooked .

In general there are some nice original photos of what the top should look like in "The model A Ford as Henry built it" also I believe that Gary Johnsons 68C on www.modelahouse.com is a nice example of how it can be done.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote