View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #24
38 coupe

Default Re: Changed The Weight Of My Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
15w40 diesel oil is pretty good stuff. It has plenty of additives for long engine life, and should be thick enough to allow your engine to run quietly... without being too thick for warm up. I consider it perfect for old flatheads.
I agree with this. My understanding from reading a lot about engine oil is that oils intended for gasoline engines no longer are made to deal with contamination. This happened since electronic fuel injection has made flooded engines and the like a thing of the past. Diesel oil still is made to deal with contamination, which our carbureted engines will do. If you are running an electronically fuel injected engine this advice is irrelevant to you.

Also, please don't think that whatever was recommended in the 1930s is still relevant. Oils and rubber are two areas that have changed to unrecognizable levels from where they were when our Fords were built. I don't see anyone recommending going out and finding natural rubber inner tubes, so why are some still looking for oils that haven't been manufactured in decades?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote