View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
blucar

Default Re: Cabriolet window channel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I went absolutely crazy trying to replace the felt on the window channel on my Briggs bodied 39 conv. I found the correct heavy felt at Restoration Specialitie's, however it was 3/4" wide. I cut it down with a larger pair of sissors, getting two pieces out of one.
Getting the 1/8" felt into the window run channels, two, front & rear of the window class channel, proved to be a very difficult task. I finally figured out that the groove for the felt was most-likely crimped closed after the felt was installed. Since the groove could not be opened up and there was no way to glue the felt in, I had to be very creative..
I finally came up with a "rig" made from two pieces of 1/4" x 1" steel, I placed a piece of felt between the steel pieces and using several clamps I was able to compress the felt down to almost 1/16". Working very quickly, less than 15 seconds, I was able to drop the felt into the groove before it expanded.
I have done two other '39 convertible coupes for guys I know.
I did the windows on my '39 eleven years ago, the felt in the window run channels is still in place with no issues.