View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive

It took me a while to decide if I wanted a Mitchell O/D transmission or the O/D. I finally decided on the O/D.

I installed the Mitchell in July 2020 by myself (70 yo, Covid thing and all that). It would have been a LOT easier if I had help. I just took my time and followed Tom Endy's advice and left the rear spring in the car. Glad I did as I found some shackle problems, see picture.

If you are planning on ordering one I would order direct from Steve or Cindy. The Vendors tack another $400 on the price. It took 15 weeks for my Mitchell to arrive by UPS (again because of Covid-19). I hope the Mitchell's are catching up on their orders again.

When I ordered the Mitchell I thought about going with the cable but decided on the shifter. The area where the shifter comes thru is not usable anyway. Notice I did extend the Mitchell shifter 4" so I didn't have to reach for it.

Besides it is fun watching people discuss why it has "three shifters".

Around town I use mostly 2nd low and 2nd high. I love being able to shift down for corners and hills, sit at a light with the Mitchell in neutral, too many other advantages to list.

Only con, not the fault of the Mitchell, is the stock trans still has the large gap between 2nd and 3rd. And yes I could go to 3rd low after 2nd high but most of the time I'm too lazy...

I did not see it mentioned but Tom Endy has a very good article on installing the Mithell O/D https://www.brattons.com/media/wysiw...r-Apr-2012.pdf

Broken Shackle

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-01-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote