View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #41
Bill G

Default Re: Other Hobby Interests

My other hobbies include ham radio and collecting antique telephones. I also owned a 1964 - 1/2 Ford Mustang that I bought from my dad in 1969 which he bought brand new off the showroom floor in June of 1964. I owned that car for 25+ years.

There are similar issues going on between all these hobbies. Younger people do not understand the older technology and most don't even have a desire to have anything to do with them. Ham radio, for instance, seems to be a hobby which is largely full of old timers and few newer and younger people get interested. With cell phones and free long distance, there is nothing to talking to someone around the world any time you want to. Why would anyone now want to wait for just the right atmospheric conditions to only be able to talk for a few minutes through loads of static? They just don't understand the fun of it all!

It looks like the same may be said of old cars, but I do see many younger people getting involved in old cars/ Model A's. Maybe there is more hope here than in other hobbies.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote