View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #17
35fordtn

Default Re: 1939 pickup new distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"Never understood the thought process that points are bad?"

Aside from concerns about the quality of reproduction points, there is an overwhelming belief that the simplest timing procedure on an early distributor is impossible ... and that it must be done on a machine ... and you have to send your distributor off somewhere to get it done.

Whether that's true or not, guys are discouraged by much of the advice even here on Ford Barn.

And, a lot of that "advice" is from guys who are simply repeating stuff they read here on FB and not from firsthand experience.

Overall, early V8 distributors are not well understood and the misconceptions rule people's thinking.
Hoop, having a sun machine and KRW fixture is handy as between the two one can assure everything is perfect.. However I have driven my cars with the points set by a feller gauge when I was younger and never used any equipment and they ran perfect. So... It can be over rated, way over rated.

Just like rebuilt to some means sling in some point's adjust it and go.. To others rebuilt is way more in depth.

Back to the posters speedway distributor.. Be careful if using a alternator as those Speedway units are sensitive to voltage spikes..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote