View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
Deuce Coupe

Default Re: How to Build a 1930 Model A Front Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
What brand of English wheel did you get? I'd love to have one but they're kind of pricey.
Well, to begin with you need to know two things. First off I am in the poverty class. So everything I do is on a shoestring budget. So I bought the absolute cheapest English Wheel I could find. It's $134 US from Grizzly. Many metalshapers would probably consider it a toy and not even give it any respect at all. But I have learned over the years that I can often get by using the most rudimentary of tools. I also actually prefer making things in small sections and welding the sections together after they are formed. So for me, not being able to work with larger pieces is not a major limitation.

The main thing I was concerned with is whether this English Wheel would work at all, and it does! I was surprise at how quickly I was able to dome a piece of flat scrap metal. And I don't even know what I'm doing with the English Wheel yet. I just tried a proceedure I saw Lazze do on one of his YouTube video and it worked. So this Wheel will actually raise a panel fairly quickly too.

I got it from Grizzly.

Here's their website link: Benchtop English Wheel

I think this is well worth it to learn on. I'll keep a look out during my summertime travels for possibly obtaining a larger used English Wheel at some future point in time. But I think this little benchtop will serve as a learning tool. In fact, I could probably make the whole truck with it working in pieces, which I have no problem doing. There is no limit to the length of a piece I can work with, but this wheel only has a 15" throat so that limits me to a 30" wide panel. But actually that's pretty wide. So we'll see how well it works. For $134 I think it was well worth it. It's lightweight and portable which also makes it nice for my small shop space. Plus I'll end up building a dedicated stand for it. But right now I just used it in a bench vice and I was very pleased with how stable it is in that situation.

I think this is a good tool for someone who wants to just try out an English Wheel without making a huge initial investment. It looks like it's going to do the job.
Deuce Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote