View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
larrys40

Default Re: Brake lining replacement

Shaefer,
Before you even start relining shoes take the brake pins ( high quality new ones) and make sure they fit the shoes tightly. There are so many worn, butchered, and bad shoes out there it's a shame to reline shoes that have issues. As Kevin said there are many facets to doing a quality brake job. The new brake adjusting shafts, (A-2042) and adjusting wedges are excellent, and necessary for proper alignment and shoe distance to be even. Shoe arcing and fitting each shoe to the drum is imperative to a good job. I suggest finding someone in your area who is "A" brake schooled to help you arc the shoes or help you with the job if you desire.
Brakes are one of my specialties, you can't shortcut the job and get the best brakes.
Also, use quality brake springs. Personally I like the snyder springs over the other suppliers. Make sure the lower springs are the cad plated units. They have sufficient spring tension to hold the shoes tightly and ensure proper pedal return. I would also use the "wire type" anti rattle/return springs over the flat steel type. If you search my name under brakes I have suggestions from previous posts.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote