View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 1941 Ford Open Drive Conversion

The 35 has another advantage, it's much cheaper. I have nothing against to 9". used one behind my Hemi Dodge, back in the 70's. Don't notice any ride difference, however, The Dodge was a heaver car, and that IZ the difference. I can weight he 35, but not the 9" because I don't have one. While on the subject of rear axles the Dana 44 is a nice strong axle, comes from the Jeep grand Cherokee. Comes with posi and is also very inexpensive. As a builder I don't have nuch cash on hand, However SS has given me a raise so that will help. THe cost of building things is getting very expensive. I'm sorry I sold my boring bar because I have to bore a block and fit the pistons. I put money asside every month to cover the cost. Several shops that did good work have closed their doors. I asked one shop to bore my block, and was told I can't take .125" out of the block and he wouldn't do it/ I found a Shell molded flathead crank I'd like to have ground to usr "H" beam rods and there isn't any one here in vermont that does that anymore and have to send it down to Mass, so trust is a big issue. Many of you guys have extra funds that make this Hobby continue, but . not for long. Check the price og alum heads and a Offy 4bl intake can't be found anywhere, it's on back order.
I enjoy this Hobby because I like building as much as I can. Made my own front disk grake system. Much lighter that the aftermarket ones, and cheaper. Hope it works.
I understand they won't be building any gas powered cars after 2130 all electric after that, sad day for the flathead, have to make our own fuel.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote